Albert and Barbara Tucker Gallery, Heide Museum of Modern Art
13 SEPTEMBER 2014 – 15 FEBRUARY 2015
CURATORS: LESLEY HARDING & KENDRAH MORGAN
In 1944 Albert Tucker discovered two intriguing paintings in an unexpected location—a bicycle shop in Swanston Street, Melbourne. Attracted by their naive artistry he set about trying to identify the painter, as the works were unsigned. Tucker learned that the pictures had belonged to Professor Alfred Henry Tipper, a travelling showman and trick cyclist who was depicted in the images, and who had died in April that year.